March 6, 2010

When It Will Stop No One Knows

Today Jason asked me "When are you going to quit breastfeeding?" I didn't really know how to answer him nor did I actually have an answer for him. "I don't know" I said, "when one of us wants to?" I said kind've guessing myself. When Enza was born I never put a time frame on how long I was going to nurse, I knew I wanted to make it to atleast a year. Now here I am at 17mo+ and I don't know when we'll stop.
Jason asked because he finds it a little disturbing that Enza pulls out my shirt touches my boob and says "Num num!" She gets all excited and lays down just waiting for me to oblige. She nurses 3-4 times a day right now. I was a little bothered after Jason's comment, mainly because we are in the stage when most people wonder why we are still nursing, the stage where some people might think I'm weird or whatever. Before I had Enza I might have even thought it a little weird to nurse a toddler.
At my last La Leche League meeting I borrowed a book from the library,Mothering Your Nursing Toddler. I opened it up to read a little today and immediately felt some comfort and confidence in its pages. The first page of the first chapter says, "

It may seem strange at first that a child who sits at the family table at mealtimes and is into the refrigerator many times in between would also ask his mother for nursing......Yet anyone who looks lovingly at a child at the breast can see that satisfying hunger or thirst is only a part of nursing. After a minute or two of nursing, the entire little body relaxes with contectment and pleasure. A child who is hurt begins to feel better. A child who has become overexcited calms down.........Nursing has all the restorative powers of a morning cup of coffee without the "caffeine jitters." It is as relaxing as an evening cocktail, with no bleary aftereffects.

And so on it goes and when it will stop no one knows.

0 comments: